‘As We See It’: Authentic Beacon for Adults Diagnosed with ASD

Rick Glassman, Sue Ann Pien, and Albert Rutecki, the main actors in 'As We See It.' Courtesy of Amazon Studios.


2 years ago, Amazon Prime Video released As We See It. Created by Jason Katims of Friday Night Lights and based on On the Spectrum created by Dana Idsis and Yuval Shafferman, it was an authentic tale of three twentysomethings diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, played by actors actually diagnosed on the spectrum, as they try to find love, work, and comfort in their lives. I finished it off this weekend. It feels good to know that there are professionals on the spectrum just as I am. Though I may not share the characters’ over-reacting or temper tantrums, I could identify with them sometimes because I, too, want people to love me and my quirks. It's nice to know that there's a place in entertainment for people like me and them. I hope that on and off the screen, there are people diagnosed with ASD who feel hopeful about their lives.

Though Harrison (played by Albert Rutecki) and Violet (played by Sue Ann Pien) were brave in admitting their fear for the future and wanting to branch out, I think Jack (played by Rick Glassman) was the bravest in admitting to a nurse that he was diagnosed with autism. I felt he was the bravest because unlike the former two, he was open and honest about his diagnosis, and no one thought less of him for it. In addition, he didn't feel less of himself for it. I empathize because I'm open about my diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome and nobody belittles me because of it, either.

I saw some prior representation in television characters with ASD such as Sam Gardner from Atypical or Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory (though no official diagnosis was revealed). But it feels better knowing actual entertainers on the spectrum got to shed light on the matter. I only wish it hadn't been canceled and told more of the roommates' respective journeys, along with those of their loved ones. Still, I hope people on and off the spectrum will watch it and get some enlightenment on adulting and its imperfect journeys along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netflix's 'Atypical' Can Encourage People with Autism

Disney Channel's ‘Amphibia’-Wildly Awesome Adventure